Engaging voters by telephoning them is one of the most valuable activities we can do. It is the one way we can allow voters to talk to real live Liberal Democrats! Real people - just like YOU!
Thank you for joining the Cotswold Phonebank Team and helping with our efforts to speak with voters right across the Cotswolds.
Below you will find everything you need to know to be an active member of the Phonebank Team. Please read it in full before starting.
Sign up at the bottom of the page to get weekly reminders of our sessions!
What is the Cotswold Phonebank Team?
The Phonebank Team is a group of party activists from all over the Cotswolds who meet up virtually every week to telephone voters. Doing so as a team allows us to support each other, to give and get advice, and it makes telephoning more fun.
You're not restricted to only making calls during our sessions though. You can make calls at any time that's convenient for you.
How do I connect with everyone else?
We meet via Google Meet three times each week. You don't have to come along to every event but the more you can come along to the more voters we can engage with.
Each session begins with a briefing and our Organiser Max is always on hand to help with any
Our sessions take place three times a week to give everyone an opportunity to take part, including a Weekend Action Day. The regular sessions take part on Tuesdays at 6pm, Fridays at 11am and Saturdays at 11am and 2pm. You can find the specific details and the codes to join below.
Tuesday 2nd March - 6pm - https://meet.google.com/vyd-wieo-sxc
Friday 5th March - 11am - https://meet.google.com/bys-devt-jbf
Saturday 6th March
What do I need?
We have prepared a script that includes the questions we want you to ask people, and a list of people to phone. All this is held in Connect, the Liberal Democrat online campaigning system. It has a Virtual Phone Bank function that tells you who to call (and stops two party activists from calling the same person) and lets you record what they tell you. It is fully GDPR compliant and stores the data securely.
You will need a computer or tablet with internet connection so that you can access Connect, and a telephone to make telephone calls from. These do ideally need to be two separate devices as it's incredibly difficult to use Connect on a smartphone while also using it to make calls.
Do you have a Connect account?
You will need a Connect account. If you don't have one please get in touch with Max Langer at [email protected]
What do I have to do?
To make calls:
- Log on to your account at connect.libdems.org.uk.
- Select "My Voters" at the top of the page.
- Select Virtual Phone Bank - which is bottom right of the home page.
- Select which phonebank you will be calling - If not, or you want to telephone canvass somewhere else, find the VPB code for the relevant phonebank below and type it in the space provided.
- Read the script once again before starting,
- Start making the telephone calls, the telephone number you need to call is at the top of the page - please be aware that it is against the law to dial 141 to withhold your number when phoning a Virtual Phone Bank. If someone does call you back, explain that you are calling from the local Liberal Democrats just to check that they are ok at this time and have access to the support and information they need.
- Follow the script and record their responses on Connect. Remember to read the required GDPR statement (it's in the script) when asking for someone's e-mail address.
Stow-on-the-Wold : DA22D4M-146366
South Cerney : 23C1D4C-250995
Fairford & Lechlande-on-Thames : EA22D4N-132171
Cirencester Park : F2C1D4Q-900366
Cirencester Beeches: E2C1D4P-192592
Bourton & Northleach: D2C1D4O-299597
And finally... some Top Tips
- Before dialling, check the names of the people in the household you are due to call. You can find these at the top of the page.
- Always start off by checking that you are speaking to the right person.
- Smile when you speak. It comes through in your voice.
- Stick to the questions in the script, but ask them in a way that's comfortable for you. You don't have to robotically read out each one exactly as written.
- Record each response in Connect as you go along.
- If the telephone number doesn't work, you don't get through to the household you were expecting, or you don't get an answer, there is a special question where you can record this.
- If you're calling a landline and you have more than one person listed ask to speak to each person in turn.
- Thank them for their time before bringing the call to a close.